[Shop-talk] wheel weights for tractors

Michael Porter mdporter at dfn.com
Thu Mar 15 13:10:09 MDT 2018

On 3/15/2018 9:07 AM, Paul Parkanzky wrote:
> I recommend beet juice (Rim Guard). It will add more weight/$ and the
> weight is as low as it can possibly be. And since the weight is in the
> tires and not hanging off the end of the axle, I think it's easier on
> the tractor as well.

Special fluids are probably necessary for tubeless rims, but, in the
old, old days, farmers just installed tubes, added water with some
barium chloride dissolved in it (to increase the weight) to about 30-40%
of the volume and applied air pressure to that.   I know because when I
was three, we were out at my grandfather's farm in Texas, and in the
process of exploring, jumped off something and landed on the stem of the
tire of his John Deere Model A and snapped it off.  Got a shower of the
stuff... and a lecture on minding where I went.

Cheers.

--

Michael Porter
Roswell, NM

Never let anyone drive you crazy when you know it's within walking
distance....