[Shop-talk] Prep/etch/sealing a new concrete floor?

Obaa obaa996 at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 8 13:28:05 MST 2018

Hey all,
I'm in the fortunate circumstance of a family member moving into a new house nearby, who is giving me their garage space to store my vehicles.  The only caveat is that I do something to seal off the concrete, as all of my vehicles leak something or another...The house is brand new; the concrete was poured mid-summer, so I expect it is fully cured by now.  There's been construction traffic through the garage (some paint/drywall drips and other stains), otherwise, the utilities (furnace, water heater, plus required safety barriers) and a set of stairs into the house are the only things on the floor.I think I need to do some scrubbing of the floor with either TSP, or perhaps a muriatic acid solution to prep the floor, and then apply a sealant.  I don't want to put down an epoxy, because I haven't had good luck with hot tire lift nor gas/oil resistance in my own house (hence this question).  Curious if you folks have any recommendations on procedures and/or specific products?  One thing I saw that looked interesting, was a chemical concrete "hardener", which sounded good, but which seemed like it would affect adhesion of any sealant applied over it.
Thanks,Mike