[Shop-talk] Today's joy - garage door openers

eric at megageek.com eric at megageek.com
Fri Sep 7 04:01:17 MDT 2018

Scott,
there are different types of openers.

The old (pre 90's) units used a series of DIP switches to set a code for
the opener.  They were easy to clone and are no longer used.  If  the
opener you got uses this system, you can clone it from the remote, but you
need to make sure the new remote will support the old style.  Most, if not
all, new remotes will NOT support this old type.  The one in your car will
not.

The new system is a 'rolling' code.  This needs to be configured between
the opener and remote.  It can not be set by 'cloning' a remote only. This
is what you have in your car.

There are even newer systems that connect to the internet and allow you to
open with your phone/etc.  I would NEVER connect any system component to
the internet.

Sent from my Commodore 64 on a 2400 Baud Modem.
Tech Viper
Waldo Emerson