[Shop-talk] Leaking faucet

Al Fuller al at bighealey.org
Wed Sep 5 07:26:02 MDT 2018

Scott – about the faucet valve:

-          Replacing the packing around the valve stem on the faucet should be straightforward and cheap.  If the packing stops the leak, you’re done with that part…

-          While you are in there, you should plan on replacing the washer, too.

-          Both of the above assume that you can get the packing nut off without damaging the valve or water line.  If not, you do need to replace the whole valve assembly.

As to the box:

-          If your setup is like the diagram above, the box does several things including locating the faucet valves, draining any small leak from them, and it is the drain for the drain hose…

-          If there is water finding its way to the basement, it sounds like the box--drain standpipe-P-trap--branch drain system isn’t working properly.  It also sounds like you have the possibility of mold inside the wall.  With that going on, you might be well advised to go ahead and look inside the wall and satisfy yourself that you know what is happening with the pipes and the wall.

-          If you don’t want  to open up the wall right off the bat, there are cheap boroscopes you can get on Amazon [etc.] that might help.  I think I paid $10 for one that works with my mobile phone…

Al Fuller

'65 BJ-8

'85 Rx-7