[Shop-talk] Plumbing fun

John Innis jdinnis at gmail.com
Thu Aug 1 09:03:53 MDT 2019

Our home was built new in 2007 and is 100% PEX with crimp rings.  Not only
have we not had any issues with the PEX, we survived a hard freeze with no
damage and no leaks.  I have never used a shark-bite connector so can't
comment on those, but I am a big fan of PEX now.

On Thu, Aug 1, 2019 at 10:00 AM Pat Horne via Shop-talk <
shop-talk at autox.team.net> wrote:

> My understanding is that plumbers use the expansion method of termination
> because it is easier, faster & cheaper. They also don’t need to stock the
> crimp rings.
>
> I plumbed my shop w/apartment (4 sinks, 1 shower, 1 tub, 1 washer, 2
> toilets & 2 hose bibs)using PEX & crimp rings. It was cheap & easy. That
> was a year ago & I have no leaks.
>
> In my house I used some shark bite connectors on a copper pipe & it
> started leaking.
>
> My use is just a single point but it worked fine for me.  YMMV
>
> peace,
> Pat
>
> Pat Horne
> We support Habitat for Humanity
>

> On Aug 1, 2019, at 9:06 AM, Jim Juhas via Shop-talk <
> shop-talk at autox.team.net> wrote:
>
> I used PEX on my kitchen remodel in 2011. Maybe I didn't know any better
> but I used the crimp rings on hot and cold sides, run to the icemaker, feed
> to dishwasher. Everything is still intact. Only downside is that PEX under
> the sink isn't as pretty as copper.
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> > On Jul 30, 2019, at 9:35 PM, Jim Stone via Shop-talk <
> shop-talk at autox.team.net> wrote:
> >
> > The union in the photograph doesn’t look terrible to me.  I’ve certainly
> successfully worked with worse.  If only to buy you some time, it can’t
> hurt to wrap a couple of extra turns of teflon tape around the new fitting
> - or goober it up with pipe dope - and see if it works.
> >
> > That isn’t to say that a re-plumb isn’t in your future. The clogged pipe
> looks pretty scary.  I haven’t worked much with PEX, but have watched
> plumbers using it and am pretty impressed.  None of the pros seem to use
> crimpers for their connections, and they tell me they don’t trust crimped
> connections.  They use something like this:
> https://www.amazon.com/Milwaukee-2432-22-12-Volt-Propex-Expansion/dp/B0048EJX7U/ref=sr_1_1?crid=20YNES0KKJ2KB&keywords=milwaukee+pex+expander+tool&qid=1564536668&s=hi&sprefix=Milwaukee+pex%2Ctools%2C127&sr=1-1.
> There are manual versions of this for sale, but I am sure this is the way
> to go if you are doing a fair amount of work.
> >
> > I have also been told by professionals that Shark Bite fittings are
> really good.  They are expensive if you are doing a lot of work, but a good
> way connecting PEX to other forms of pipe.
> >
> > Jim
> >
> >> On Jul 30, 2019, at 9:01 PM, Mark J Bradakis via Shop-talk <
> shop-talk at autox.team.net> wrote:
> >>
> >> So I cut out enough sheetrock to get some wrenching room, got the old
> pipes out without too much trouble.  I sprayed a few of the joints with
> WD40 a few times, maybe that helped, maybe it didn't.
> >>

> >> So now the question is can I get the sealing face that rusty old union
> cleaned up enough to get a good seal, or am I going to have to replace it
> too, which might mean tearing into the wall in the next room.  Or maybe not.
> >>
> >> And then, this project has got me thinking.  It might be my cue to buy
> [...]

= Never offend people with style when you   =
= can offend with substance --- Sam Brown  =