[Shop-talk] Electric String Trimmers

Jimmie Mayfield mayfield+shoptalk at sackheads.org
Tue Aug 20 21:03:42 MDT 2019

It's probably better to compare watt-hours rather than amp-hours since
battery voltages vary.  The Ego 5ah @ 56V battery has 280 watt-hours of
power.  The 12ah Dewalt Flexvolt battery (12ah in 20V mode, 4ah in 60V
mode) has 240 watt-hours of power.  So the 5ah Ego battery is a little
bigger.  Dewalt does offer a 7.5ah battery but it's in their 40V lineup
(300 watt-hours) that's geared towards landscapers.  It's kind of a
shame that Dewalt had to bifurcate their batteries like that.  They
could have just made their landscaper-pro tools use the same 60V
Flexvolt battery...

Ego also offers a 7.5ah battery but it's heavy and expensive (cheapest
way to buy one is to buy a mower with the battery, keep the battery and
sell the bare mower on Ebay).  They also has a 28ah backpack kind of
like the Stihl and Husqvarna backpacks but it's aimed at landscapers
(and priced as such).