[Shop-talk] add water to "maintenance-free" battery?

Lee Daniels lee at automate-it.com
Sun Jul 21 16:18:01 MDT 2019

I suspect this has come up before, but my quick archive search didn't turn up
anything.

The DieHard in my TR6 is several years old, but it sits on a Battery MINDer
most of the time. Lately when I start the car, I first get one short "Rrr"
like a dead battery. But keep trying and it turns over *very* reluctantly for
a few revs, then (so far) builds speed, and eventually starts. After a drive,
it starts normally.

It's now sat for a day, so I figured I'd check the water level - but, uh-oh,
can't figure out a way to get the cover off without tearing up the battery.
See attached photo. I can pry on the two ends and get them to barely move, but
the edges of the cover don't budge with gentle prying.

Out of the car, I measure >12.8V, and it's never had any corrosion etc. Is
there anything I can do with this thing?

Thanks
 Lee