[Shop-talk] Plumbing fun

Mark J Bradakis mark at bradakis.com
Tue Jul 30 14:44:17 MDT 2019

So I replaced the old, leaking valve and union with new bits. This is
the feed to the outside front hose faucet.  Managed to wiggle it all
just right to get it to fit and tighten up properly.  Turn on the valve
and start getting wet.  The new parts aren't leaking, it is the old
joint at the union at the wall, that skanky looking bit with the dark
discoloration.  Guess the wiggling around disturbed it to the point of
failing.

I'm thinking of replacing the pipes between the new valve and the
leaking union with a short of piece of flexible hose, like maybe a
washing machine fill hose, or something similar.  Of course, access is
going to be a pain, will need to dig out the saw and start whacking away
more old sheetrock first.

What fun.

Of course, the REAL fix is to replumb the entire house, I'm sure a LOT
of the pipe look like the inside of the old valve I removed.

mjb.