[Shop-talk] annoying calls

Mike Rambour lists at dinospider.com
Mon Mar 25 12:55:59 MDT 2019

  I have a iPhone, I am sure Androids have the same setup.

  I put my iPhone on Do Not Disturb, it was supposed to be something you
set up so your phone does not ring in the middle of the night but I have
it on 24 hours a day, it is set so anyone in my contact list can get
through but all other calls are sent off to voice mail.  I do have to
remember to turn it off sometimes if I am expecting a call from someone
not in my contact list, but my contact list now has over 300 people in it.
     mike

On 3/25/2019 10:38 AM, Jim Stone via Shop-talk wrote:
> Unfortunately, the Do Not Call list, which once worked very well, has
> now become almost worthless because scammers have figured out that
> that their chances of being caught are slim and the fines assessed are
> far less than the profits from running a successful scam.  If you cell
> carrier is AT&T, you can try downloading their Call Protect app.  It
> isn’t perfect, but it helps. Other carriers may have something
> similar.  Your cellphone should also allow you to block call from the
> spoof number, although that would also block any legitimate calls from
> BOA.  Personally, I set up a contact group list on my mobile called
> “Ignore this Call” and add numbers to it anytime I get a telemarketing
> call; being able to actively ignore them gives me more satisfaction
> than not allowing them to connect.  It is childish, but I still do it.
>
> One other thing, just FWIW.  I didn’t change my cell number when I
> moved from St. Louis to New York, so it is still Area Code 314.  That
> turns out to be a very good thing, as most spoof calls come in with
> that area code (and, more often than not, the same exchange as my
> phone).  I now ignore any calls from 314 that are not in my contact
> list and have yet to miss a real call.  You can have any area code you
> want on a cell phone.  Changing your number is a drastic step, but I
> would definitely get an out-of-state number, should I ever need a new one.
>
> Hope this helps,
> Jim
>

>> On Mar 25, 2019, at 12:29 PM, john niolon via Shop-talk
>> <shop-talk at autox.team.net <mailto:shop-talk at autox.team.net>> wrote:
>>
>> for some time I’ve been getting calls on cells phones and home phone
>> offering me “lower credit card rates” and have a limited time to
>> reply... when I press “1” to speak to an associate, I get a foreign
>> being speaking almost english and when I tell him to stop calling
>> they hang up..these calls are two to three times a week and sometimes
>> twice a day.  Today I called their 800 number and got bank of
>> america.  After three failed attempts and a call back I finally spoke
>> to a person and she told me it was a scam and they mask their number
>> and it shows BoAs 800 number. She said there was nothing they could
>> do... but put me on BoAs do not call list but offered no
>> incouragement that that would stop the calls
>> Is there anywhere I can take this to get it resolved...  I can’t seem
>> to block the number on my home phone since it[s a 800 number and
>> haven’t found a way on the cells yet...   come on phone/tech/gurus...
>> little help here
>> thanks
>> John

A gun is like a parachute, if you need one but don't have it,
you'll probably never need one again.