[Shop-talk] Garage ceiling height

Karl Vacek stearman809 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 26 13:35:37 MDT 2019

At long last my dream of a 4-post lift may come true later this year or
next.  We're working on plans to demolish our 1-1/2 car garage and build a
bigger one, with a basement and a higher ceiling.  Right now the garage is
18 x 24 with an 8' ceiling.

We can go a bit over 21 feet wide and 28 feet deep.  Can't go wider garage
due to the house's location on the lot.  Can't go longer without further
cutting off the kitchen sink window view or pushing the front of the garage
forward of the house, neither of which sound good to us.

10 feet seems to be the limit of wall height to look compatible with the
rest of the house and match the lower-level (porch, etc.) roof lines on the
house.

I think that'll give enough ceiling height for my needs, but I do need to
consider a future buyer as well.  Will 10 feet will be adequate for a lift
to allow 2-level car storage for at least typical cars?

Advice ??

Thanks in advance !!

Karl

"Veni, Vidi, Volo in Domum Redire."  (I came, I saw, I want to go home.)