[Shop-talk] Garage ceiling height

Paul Parkanzky parkanzky at gmail.com
Tue Mar 26 16:50:19 MDT 2019

I’ve had this setup with ten foot ceilings in two garages. Ten feet is the minimum you’ll want, in my opinion. I would stack two cars (typically a Lotus Elise or a Miata over a TDI Golf or e90 M3) and it wasn’t terribly for that but I always wished I could go higher, especially when I did any work on a car.

The solution to this is scissor trusses and little “windows” in the ceiling where the greenhouse of a vehicle would go. They’ll make a huge difference.

It goes without saying that you’ll want the tracks for the garage door to he as high as possible. My door wore the paper off the drywall in a spot at the first house.

A nice jackshaft opener (I had lift masters both times) is nice to clean up the ceiling but not necessary if you have a two car door because that track will hang down next to the vehicle and not over it.

-Paul