[Shop-talk] Router

Ronnie Day ronnie.day at gmail.com
Fri Apr 3 17:02:37 MDT 2020

Like Al said, list your requirements, then I'd draw a floorplan, too. Don't
forget any smart TVs or other similar devices. There are some new wireless
router protocols that look really interesting, however, IMO a WiFi
connection is okay, but a poor substitute if a wired connection is at all
available. Once you've figured out what you need, where, I'd check out the
recommended wireless routers on both CNet.com and Tom's Hardware.

We're stuck with HughesNet satt-based for the time being. We also are stuck
using their wireless modem (at an additional $15/month-it's a racket!).
ViaSat isn't any better, IMO. Currently we're on month to month hoping the
Texas Rural Broadband Initiative with get off the ground sooner rather than
later.

The HughesNet modem has 4 gigabit ports on it in addition to providing 2G
and 5G wifi. I've got my main desktop Mac and PC plugged directly into the
modem, along with a NetGear R7000 and an 8 port gig switch. The NetGear has
been rock solid and comes pre setup with an easier to remember WiFi
password, which you can change if you want to.

Hope this helps,
RD