[Shop-talk] Decking material?

Pat Horne patintexas at icloud.com
Mon Apr 6 13:34:36 MDT 2020

I did a deck about 15 years ago with Massaranduba. It’s close to the Ipe range but it held up great. I’m getting ready to add another 10x20 & will use the same.

I’ve also used a plastic compound decking (Choicedeck) that works well but it will be hot if not under cover & needs extra support.

Peace,
Pat

Pat Horne
We support Habitat for Humanity

> On Apr 6, 2020, at 1:23 PM, Jim Franklin via Shop-talk <shop-talk at autox.team.net> wrote:

I'm looking to expand/replace the 8 x 14 deck I have now into a 16x24. It's 5/4 PT wood. What else do people like? This is a medium-budget project i.e. I want something better than 1980s era PT pine or sagging plastic lumber but Ipe and the like are probably out of range. I put a Trex railing in my house and I liked the quality but 20 years ago Trex would burn your feet off and sagged.

What's available today that has a good quality per dollar ratio?

thanks,
jim

Shop-talk at autox.team.net
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html