[Shop-talk] Footings and piers for decks

Jim Franklin jamesf at groupwbench.org
Thu Apr 16 12:13:18 MDT 2020

Having decided it's better to build a nice ornate deck out of PT than a small simple deck of of fancy materials, I'm looking at the foundation. Frost line here is 48" and I need 18" footings. I have found 3 options and I'm wondering if I missed anything:

1. Traditional concrete with forms and sonotubes
2. Pre-cast footings (22", 100 lbs)  and stackable piers (EZ-Tube)
3. Helical piles

I haven't heard back from the town on that last one and they're the priciest at $275 per. The pre-cast are $150 per. Concrete will require hauling about 45,000 bags into the backyard.

I'm leaning towards #2 . I don't own any yard equipment but I can rent a skid steer with auger, though not a 24" auger I don't think.

thanks,
jim