[Shop-talk] diesel fuel question

eric at megageek.com eric at megageek.com
Fri Apr 24 05:46:02 MDT 2020

Does anyone know of a way to tell if diesel fuel has gone bad?

Here is my situation.  I have a large diesel fuel tank for my tractors on
my property (so I don't have to buy 'over the road' diesel.)  The fuel in
there has been there a few years.

My newest tractor (a small 25hp subcompact) started acting funny.  At full
throttle, it seems to sputter a little.

Could be a fuel problem, but I would love to test the diesel somehow. Or
is there a way of looking at the filter on the tractor? Or another test to
do?

Related follow up, if the fuel is bad, and I have about 50 gals in a 250
tank.  Can I just add fresh fuel to it, or do I need to drain out all the
bad first?  What would be a good bad/good ratio to dilute the bad fuel?

Thanks!

Waldo Emerson
-Who is John Galt?