[Shop-talk] OT flash drives

Battmain battmain at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 27 16:31:29 MDT 2020

 I am also using a NAS. I got hit some time ago by a botnet when I was playing with the ftp port forwarding to use with the security cams. Somehow they found the port and I was getting hit with 6 logins attempts per second. It was pretty interesting to watch while I let it go, but I got alerted pretty much immediately and the IPs were blocked almost immediately too. IPs were from all over the world per the lookup tool.   I have added some more routers and adding some enterprise level firewalls now. I also understand I am not as smart as some of the people out there, but it sure keeps the brain actively learning and I am loving my NAS.
As for the drives, I usually google review on the brand/size first and determine if the losses are worth the risk.   Just like physical drives, I have found over the years that true  capacity is occasionally overstated. As someone mentioned, the cheaper drives don't seem to last as long.    I also make it spend a few hours/days doing a real format instead of a quick format.   Check out the NAS route and see if it might work for you. Many of them use  hot swappable ports and you can do any RAID combination you wish.  Also automated backups and file syncing is well worth the setup and reading time.