[Shop-talk] OT flash drives

alfuller194 at gmail.com alfuller194 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 16 12:14:26 MDT 2020

This discussion of using flash [or other electronic non-volatile memory for storage] reminds me of how we used to treat magnetic tape used for backups. Since it was known to have a limited number of cycles, we kept track of use, and retired the media BEFORE it began to show symptoms of degrading.  I suspect people still using tape continue to actively manage the media…

All the best,

Al Fuller