[Shop-talk] everybody OK with Covid-19?

Jim Franklin jamesf at groupwbench.org
Tue Mar 17 07:48:42 MDT 2020

> On Mar 17, 2020, at 9:36 AM, Jeff Scarbrough via Shop-talk <shop-talk at autox.team.net> wrote:
>

> On Tue, Mar 17, 2020 at 9:33 AM Donald H Locker via Shop-talk <shop-talk at autox.team.net <mailto:shop-talk at autox.team.net>> wrote:
>
> One problem that we will run into is that if the
> measures are sufficiently effective, we won't have a catastrophe, and
> many people will complain, "Well, that was all for naught!" and won't
> want to take appropriate measures next time.
>
> Like Y2k.  I'ts never been clear to me how much of the lack of catastrophe was due to overhype, and how much was due to a bunch of people buckling down and fixing it before it was a problem.

Both. There was a lot of fixing that went on, but we didn't know what we didn't know until we started digging into it. Not too different from now - some people are freaking out, some people are being overly cavalier, because we just don't know and are learning new things every day.

It's different from a hurricane because we've had hurricanes, you can see it, you can see the damage it does, and you can figure out how to keep yourself safe, and how to survive. The virus, can't see it, don't fully know how it gets passed on, how will it damage +me+ vs. my neighbor, etc.

jim