[Shop-talk] everybody OK with Covid-19?

Jim Franklin jamesf at groupwbench.org
Thu Mar 19 12:12:06 MDT 2020

> On Mar 19, 2020, at 1:46 PM, eric--- via Shop-talk <shop-talk at autox.team.net> wrote:
>
> First, we loose tens of thousands of people each year to the flu, but there is never a whisper of it.

Based on the ridiculously small amount of testing we've done, this virus is 10x deadlier than the flu. That could change once testing is able to identify people who are asymptomatic, but still it's only been around for 3 months. Comparing it to the flu is irrelevant except that they are both viruses. as is the common cold, herpes, HIV, etc. etc.

> Next, of course 'professionals' in the industry will claim that this is the end of days.  Just look how money is flowing into labs without question.  I can't say I blame them, they have most likely been fighting for grants for the past decade, it makes sense to hype it up for funding now.

The corona virus family will not go away. This is #4 in our lifetimes. The more we encroach on wildlife, the more viruses will cross over from animals to humans. And we don't seem to be making fewer humans, globally speaking.

> Finally, the news networks (both sides) have been driving this agenda to sell ad space.  I will stand by my guns here and say that this is nothing more than any of the other flus that go around this time of year.  If the media wasn't crying about a falling sky, people wouldn't panic and life would be much more predictable.  They will cause more panic before this is over.

People are free to buy their own news instead of choosing the ad-funded channel that best confirms their biases and frames of mind. The CDC news is free and as accurate as we have. What's worse than the over-reaction to the news is the under-reaction, or the resistance to react, because someone doesn't like the source. Refusing to believe the news because it seems overhyped is not differnet than refusing to get a flu shot because it seems overhyped. My sister is a nurse in NY where everyone has a Godfather-like sense of entitlement and are still walking around like they can't be inconvenienced. Yet if one of their elderly relatives got sick from it, you'd never hear the end of it. There's your hypocricy.

> I say this as a person (almost 50) WITH respiratory issues and I will NOT change any habit as a result of this.

Then I wish you the best of luck. Just don't give it to anyone else if you're out and about feeling fine. Asymptomatic vectors are very real and have spread this thing far more than the sick people have.

>  But I am getting more shop time and it's awesome!

I was completely unprepared in this regard. The BBQ flabé was fun but short-lived. Even once I decide on a compressor there is only a bicycle to ready.

> One more final note-  I have looked in all my sofas, under all my cushions, and I didn't find ANY women to spend time with.  8>(  I guess I need to shop at better furniture stores!

Maybe Amazon can help? We now have a few good recommendations for quiet copressors :-D

jim