[Shop-talk] NOT Covid-related

Donald H Locker dhlocker at comcast.net
Fri Mar 20 17:36:38 MDT 2020

I agree with not using the glue traps. Same for poisons - not only do
you lose control of where the target animal dies, you lose control of
where the poison goes - which can be into an innocent raptor or
scavenger (who is otherwise very helpful.)

Donald.
--
*Plain Text* email -- it's an accessibility issue
() no proprietary attachments; no html mail

On 2020-03-20 6:58 p.m., Jim Franklin via Shop-talk wrote:
> Glue traps - the mice will gnaw off their own leg(s) to escape, and possibly die in an inaccessible place. Besides, they're ffreakin cruel.
>
> Snap traps - only bait I've had success with is peanut butter, and it has never failed me. Enough that it will have a scent for a few days. However it will mold eventually and they seem to avoid that in my experience.
>
> I had some in my attic and could not catch them for love or money putting traps in all the places they could possibly get in. They were living under the 18" of blown in insulation and I tried placing a board with an array of traps on top of the insulation. Then one day I added a good fresh wad of PB and bangbangbanbbang got 'em all, did another round, haven't heard any since.
>
> I use the ones with the fake cheese platform, it holds more peanut butter than the metal one. If you do put them down the vents make sure it won't slide out of reach when it trips.
>
> jim

[snip]