[Shop-talk] Maybe the weirest shop related question asked here.

Pat Horne patintexas at icloud.com
Sun Mar 29 12:07:46 MDT 2020

Good questions.

I have a .38 pistol in my shop office file cabinet in a zip lock bag. I pulled it out the other day & it wasn’t so great. I cleaned it & put some desiccate packs in the bag with it. Can’t say if this will help yet. I had ammunition stored in the same bag & wonder if this is a bad idea.

Before anyone says that it isn’t safe enough to just have it hidden, I live alone & have very few visitors. A lock or safe is on my to get list.

Peace,
Pat

Pat Horne
We support Habitat for Humanity

> On Mar 29, 2020, at 12:58 PM, eric--- via Shop-talk <shop-talk at autox.team.net> wrote:

Ok, I know I've asked some weird questions before, but I think this one will take the cake.

I live out in the country, and often work well into the night with a large shop door open.  With having bears, coyotes and other large animals in the area, I got to thinking, it might be a good idea to keep a pistol in the garage to scare off any would be 'late night snackers."
Actually, I had a run-in the other night that made me think about this.

So my question is, if I have a pistol, in a rapid access safe in a shop environment, what factors should I consider?  I understand that humidity will play a huge role, as will dust (I have to see how 'sealed' the safe is.)

Is there anything I'm missing that I should consider?  I understand that I will most likely have to clean the weapon often, but is there anything I need to think about?

Also, I'm open to suggestions for a weapon type.  I thinking an XD-M elite polymer hand gun.  With mostly composite parts.  Similar to a Glock.  (Note, I don't have anything against Glock, I just never owned one.  I do have and love my XD however, so Glock isn't out of consideration.)

I don't want this to turn into a 2nd amendment thread.  Just a 'what to consider' for leaving a pistol in a shop.

Note, in my shop I do just about everything, metal work, wood work, car and heavy equipment work, etc.

Thanks in advance.

"Be as beneficent as the sun or the sea, but if your rights as a rational being are trenched on, die on the first inch of your territory." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Shop-talk at autox.team.net
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $12.96