[Shop-talk] Removing security screws

Brian Kemp bk13 at earthlink.net
Wed Oct 21 20:12:03 MDT 2020

Some ideas:

- Use a rotary tool or hacksaw and cut a slot in the screwdriver to use
a regular flat blade screwdriver.
- Take a file and file off two sides of the screw so the vice grips can
get a better bite on the screw head.  If it is tight, you may have to do
this a second time so you essentially have a square headed screw.
- Drill progressively bigger holes in the head of the screw until it
comes off the pull off the latch then use vice grips on the screw shaft.
- Slice through the latch and cut off the screw head then use vice grips
on the screw shaft.
- Use a small pair of curved jaw vice grips and clamp them as absolutely
tight as you can.  Use a bit of 2x4 to push the vice grips down as you
tighten them and turn them to keep the vice grips from riding up.

Good luck.  Had to do this with window bars and a rusty security door.

Brian