[Shotimes] Codes 176 & 214

Mike Bruce shoitoff@verizon.net
Thu, 27 Nov 1997 19:32:35 -0500

Hey all!

Within the past few weeks (since the weather has gotten colder), my 93
ATX has started showing the CEL.  While driving normally, under 2/3
throttle, I get no light.  I do get a light for a couple minutes after
spirited driving.  Usually, the light appears about 5 to 10 seconds
after resuming a safe, sane, driving style.  I can get the light on the
freeway, and twisty back roads.  All that seems to matter is that the
secondaries are open.

After pulling codes, I get 176(left bank o2 sensor lean), and 214(CID
circuit failure).  I get the same codes after resetting the computer and
driving for a few days.

The car is a SHOshop stage 2 car with a Dynomax cat-back.  I have a D4U1
with a generically tuned LPM.  Both o2 sensors have less than 3 years on
them.  I have not noticed any loss of power or any other problems.  If
it weren't for the light, I would think the car was operating
perfectly(aside from the leaky cam seal).  I plan on replacing the cam
seals when I install +20 cams.  Speaking of the leaky cam seal, which I
think may be the one on the cam position sensor, could the leak be
fouling the CID sensor and setting the code?

About the 176 code.  I know the chip is not set perfectly for my car and
will need to be tuned after cams.  Would it be possible that a poor tune
would cause an erratic A/F ratio coming off load to set a code and
illuminate the CEL?

If you've read all that, thank you.  I eagerly anticipate your replies.

Mike Bruce
93 ATX