[Shotimes] Clutch Replacement

Jeremy Grimm forge_monkey@hotmail.com
Mon, 02 Dec 2002 15:29:42 -0500

Hey guys,

Quick question for ya. I just replaced the clutch on my 89 (it made it 65k
on the orig clutch and the TB was just starting to wear) and after
reassembling things I have run into 2 sortta problems...

#1: It is hard to shift into 1st gear. I have to push the gearshift hard to
the left before it will move up into gear. Yes I have the cable shifter
still. NO I don't have the $$$ to replace it with a rod shifter yet. My
question is...is there some sort of adjustment I can make or am I just going
to have to be a bit heavy handed getting into 1st. (note there is no
grinding of gears or anything like that...so I am pretty sure it is not a
syncro issue)

#2 My steering seems TOO tight now. The car is more willing to bump steer
and/or not recover as quick from a trun. It also reacts more to
irregularities in the road. I had to replace the rt. halfshaft when I did
the clutch...but I am pretty sure I reconnected everything back right. Also,
along these lines the cars pulls REAL hard right then left then right...etc
when I get down on the gas real hard (I abused a Grand Marquis today who
thought he was all bad. He even had a 3/4 lead at the line, and I let him
pull away first...snicker).

Any suggestions to either of these issues would be welcome.
Thanks

Jeremy Grimm
89 Lt. Titanium SHO
65k Org miles
77mm MAF, Hyperformance Stage 1 cams,
High Flow Heads, Upgraded clutch,
Hypertech underdrive pulleys,
155ltr/hr fuel pump, LPM,
Eibach springs, Tokico struts,
Hi-Flow Y-pipe, Dynomax Catback exhaust,
17" TSW EVO wheels, Bridgestone Potenza 225/45 ZR17s.