[Shotimes] Mazda 6 s, ME WANT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ron Nottingham nottingham@alltel.net
Tue, 3 Dec 2002 10:49:03 -0500

No, horsepower is not everything.  Just going on the previous 626 (I haven't
seen the new 6 yet), it had an awesome chassis, and always felt better than
the Honda Accord (the Honda had better handling, but lacked a "soul"),
Nissan Altima, Maxima, Toyota Camry, not to mention every US manufacturer's
sedans in this class.  The let down was the power (or lack thereof) from the
little 2.5L six.  If the new 6 is any better in the handling department than
the previous 626, it will be awesome, but getting left behind by sedans that
don't handle as sweet is not too fun in my book.

Talking about BMW's 225hp 3-Series...  Sure, it doesn't have the big hp #'s,
and has only 5hp more than the new 6 s, but it is rear drive, and the
handling is in another league entirely.  I enjoy driving my wife's E30 much
more than I do the SHO, even though it is down some 60hp from the SHO.  It
just has a balance that the SHO will never be able to acquire.  (I know, the
E30 also weighs some 500lbs less)

Mazda tried selling the previous 626 with a lack of hp from the other major
Japanese manufacturers, and did pretty poorly against them.  Even with
accolades from all the major car rags.  If Mazda wants to be included in the
ranks of top selling cars (like the Accord) or even sell in the numbers as
Nissan's Maxima (the previous Max outsold the previous 626 by 2-to-1).  It
doesn't matter how good a car is, as long as it has advertising clout
against it's competition.  It's the old "my schlort is bigger than your
schlort" deal.  Won't matter a hill of beans to Joe "Average" Schmoe driver
if his new 6 s can outhandle whatever when he is lined up against the
something or other at a stoplight, and he gets torqued.  Sure, he may be
having more fun on a mountain road, but deep down inside, he will feel he
has something less of a car, and not enjoy it as much.

But, if Mazda could do something about their hp deficit, and keep the "soul"
of the car, they will have a strong seller.  All Mazda needs to do is match
the outputs of the other cars.

Mazda is the only Japanese maker that has found a way to put a "soul" in
their cars...  Now, if they could just get an engine that matches that
"soul", I may just buy a new one.  The other cars I have driven (Accord,
Max, Altima, WRX, etc) just didn't have that "best friends" feeling.  I get
that from my SHO.  I even got that feeling from my departed M3 :-(  Sure,
speed isn't everything, but it does help sell cars.  Look at what happened
to the Brits when Datsun released the 240Z.  The 240Z had "soul", like the
Brits, but also had more power (plus better build quality).  Playing catchup
isn't fun in the car business.  If Mazda wants to start encroaching on #1,
they need to start playing the game like they mean it.

Ron N. - Dalton, GA
90 SHO