[Shotimes] Bolt Extractor Kits

BJamesjr@aol.com BJamesjr@aol.com
Wed, 4 Dec 2002 21:32:10 EST

>I've been looking at sears.com for various tools for x-mas.  I stumbled on
>bolt extractors - what do you use for broken manifold / y-pipe bolts?  Would

>a tool kit like this come in handy, or would you simply use some good,
>standard drill bits?

This Sears kit is for small screws, particularly ones that have become
"bugger'd" by a screwdriver to the point where the screwdriver can't get any
traction.

What you want for actual automotive-sized bolts are EZ-outs.  These require
that you drill a hole in the bolt then stick the long, tapered EZ-out into
the hole.  However for broken exhaust bolts, the bolt is usually stuck in
there so well that it won't come out with an EZ-out either.  You usually have
to drill out the entire fastener and use a tap to clean out the threads.

I have seen 2 types of EZ-outs, both of which are long and tapered so they go
pretty far into the hole you drill into the fastener.  One type has spiral
grooves in it.  The other type is square in cross section with sharp corners
that dig into the bolt.