[Shotimes] "Soul"

George Fourchy George Fourchy" <krazgeo@jps.net
Thu, 05 Dec 2002 20:48:14 -0800

On Tue, 03 Dec 2002 11:54:33 -0800, Mark Kelley wrote:

>To me, a car has soul when it gives you
>the unquenchable desire to drive it even if you have no particular place to
>go.

Yes, to me this more defines 'soul'.  I'll expand a bit.  With my car, when I get in
it, I fit just right.  Everything feels natural, as if I was suspended weightless in
mid air, rather than sitting in a seat that is pushing up on various parts of my
back, seat, and legs.  It just feels natural.  The fatter than stock wheel fits well
in my hands, and the controls are where they ought to be.  So, I could never feel a
soul type connection in an '89...the seat/pedal angles are wrong.

Then, when I am moving, it is all smooth.  There is no jerking or slipping.  There
are no obvious rattles or squeaks.  All 4 wheels are where they should be, and I can
sense what they are doing, through the seat and through the wheel.  When I shift,
everything flows smoothly and coordinated.  The power flow is even and steady,
without jerks when the throttle is lifted and the clutch is released, then reengaged
in the next gear, up or down.  On the highway, I'm alert, but as comfortable as in
my TV chair, even when working the whole road to get through a pack of pokeys.  On
the track, the feel of the tires on the ground are what I tune to, as well as engine
speed and power flow.  When I go from one side of the track to the other, to set up
for corners, it all feels just right when I change inputs, throttle and steering.

I can drive the wife's RX 300 down the freeway with the cruise engaged, and be
comfortable, but I don't feel as one with it.  I'm just along for the ride.  The
Lowrider is like a tiger, cruising easily on the 80, or crouching for the attack
just prior to each corner of Summit Point or Road Atlanta.

That's 'Soul'

George