[Shotimes] HELP with strange noise.

Steve Tatro Steve Tatro" <stevetatro@att.net
Fri, 6 Dec 2002 18:20:06 -0500

Well, I know it's hard to diagnose a noise without hearing it, but let me try
anyway!

The noise I get is hard to describe.  It sort of a vibrating sound, not too
loud, but loud enough to notice.  Hell, you drive the same car for 6 six
you're gonna notice everything.

I first noticed it when the secondaries opened up, above 4k rpm, as that's
when it's loudest.  I later was able to hear the same noise anywhere above 3k
rpms, so I doubt it has anything to do with secondaries.

Odd thing is it only does it while in gear, if I'm in neutral or park it won't
do it.  Even if I'm in neutral while going 50mph, it's normal SHO sound.

FYI, in case it matters, it's a '93 ATX with 163k miles, current on all
maintenance, Mobil 1 5W-30 (winter oil), rebuilt tranny with shift-kit about
35k miles ago (still seems to shift great).

Any ideas?  It almost sounds like it's coming from right behind the instrument
display, but it's not related to speed so I've scratched the idea of a
vibrating speedo cable.

Thanks as always,

Steve Tatro
Red/Black '93 with 163k miles