[Shotimes] Blinkers don't work??

Jeff Costantino jeff@hookt-up.com
Sat, 7 Dec 2002 17:43:52 -0500

My father's 94 Mustang did the same thing - the turn signal switch is identical to ours. Upon removing it from the steering column, I disassembled it and removed the components, cleaned out the copper oxidation (the inside was quite green), replaced the dielectric grease, reassembled it and it worked fine after.

You will want to make SURE you keep all the parts and remember where they go when you reassemble it. It can get hairy inside when all the springs and plastic blocks start to shift around as you split the halves... I ended up havin to readjust the 'flash to pass' part of the switch by pulling it forward until it "CRACK!!!" snapped into place.

Jeff

Quote - I've had this problem on my '95 SHO as well. It appears that the contacts
get dirty, and so working them may get the lights to start working. My
guess would be that spraying some DeOxit electrical contact cleaner into the
switches would eventually get them clean, as the cleaner cleans the switches
every time it's used. It works great on switches at the like, though it
does cost around $20-25 a can. My '93 Sable never had this problem, but I
have seen it before. My stalk only misbehaves once in a blue moon, so I
haven't tried spraying it yet, but I would imagine it should solve the
problem.