[Shotimes] Re: D.Potter, you did not beat a Z06 with your SHO !!!

Ron Porter ronporter@prodigy.net
Sun, 8 Dec 2002 22:46:04 -0500

'84s were the "Cross Fire Injection" 205 HP models, a truly pitiful Vette
engine.

'85-'86 (at least) were the 230 HP TPI motor. I bought a new Vette in '85
(after saying I would never buy another after having a '71 454) based on the
C&D test, as well as the supposed better quality from the new Bowling Green
plant.

The '85s were 14.5 @ 95 cars, and it was all low-midrange torque. The motor
was all done at 4,500. I would say that there is no stock, or even
bolt-on-modified SHO that can take one of those in a 0-60 or so. Those
Vettes were supposedly good for 150 mph, but I'll bet it would have taken me
forever to get there.

From: shotimes-admin@autox.team.net
[mailto:shotimes-admin@autox.team.net]On Behalf Of Ron Nottingham
Sent: Sunday, December 08, 2002 5:57 PM
To: shotimes@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shotimes] Re: D.Potter, you did not beat a Z06 with your
SHO !!!

Early C4's had 230hp (84-85, 86?), they didn't get a bump to 245hp until the
F-Bodies got the factory 350 (rated at 230hp in Camaros and 225hp in
Firebirds) in 1987.  Anyway, early C4's are like Mustangs, sometimes you can
beat one from the stoplight, other times you can't, really depends on the
driver and the car's condition.  If both are stock (SHO and Vette), it could
go either way, if one has mods and the other doesn't, the modded one will
probably win.  As far as top end goes, its a wash between the two, as Vettes
have decent top end power.  My SHO feels like it accelerates to top pretty
quickly, while the Vette feels lazy, but while that tach needle is moving
rather leisurly, it's speedometer is moving rather quickly.  Early Vettes
are not as quick as newer models, but they aren't dogs either.

As far as beating a 400hp car...  Fugedaboutit.  Unless you have a 400hp+
SHO.  These Z06's run with Vipers...  Can you beat a Viper?  If you can, I
know of an RX7 that will leave you, street racing, drag racing, road racing,
from a roll, whatever you can think of (except carrying 4 people comfortably
:-).

Ron N. - Dalton, GA
90 SHO