[Shotimes] Beating an Early Vette with a SHO!!!

Ron Porter ronporter@prodigy.net
Sun, 8 Dec 2002 22:55:34 -0500

The 205 HP '84 Cross Fire engine was truly a pitiful excuse for a Corvette
motor, it was not much better than the late '70s 16-second-wonders.

The '88 IROC Z28 had a carb-motor 305 as std, the 305 TPI motor had to be
ordered as an option. Nonetheless, the TPI motor in those years was ~205 HP,
IIRC. I had an '86 Z28 TPI rated at either 190 or 195 (rating dropped from
205 in '85....then went back up in '87) with an ATX and a 2.41 (or 2.56, I
forget) gear and no posi. It did a best of high 15.7s at 87-88. The 5-speed
305 TPI could break a very high 14 with some optional gears (like a 3.23),
but that was about it. The 305 TPI was a mid-low 15-second car at
best.........very similar to an MTX SHO.

From: shotimes-admin@autox.team.net
[mailto:shotimes-admin@autox.team.net]On Behalf Of Lewis
Sent: Sunday, December 08, 2002 8:37 PM
To: Ojas; Shotimes@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: [Shotimes] Beating an Early Vette with a SHO!!!

Back in 1991 when I had my 91 electric red SHO, one of my best friends had
the first year new style 1984 Corvette.  It had the crossfire injection or
something like that.  He had that 4+3 tranny or whatever it was.  At the
time I raced him he had about 40,000 mile on it.  It was dead even until 3rd
gear and about 110 mph, the SHO would WALK the vette.  I would pull away
from him at 110 mph like he let off the gas.  I think at 110 he was
switching into his next gear and it just dropped off.  Now what's
interesting is that he also had an 88' IROC Z Auto with a 305.  That car was
dead even with my 91 SHO all the way to 140.  We raced many, many times and
it was always the same.  Nobody around my area could believe the SHO had a
V6, they thought I put a 302 in it.

Another car I used to race was a friend with a Probe GT turbo.  That thing
was only rated at 150hp, but it was right there with the SHO.  I think it
was a little underrated to say the least.

~William Lewis
95 mtx red
91+ white
www.wclewis.com