FW: [Shotimes] looking to buy a high flow cat

Don McKinnon (AST) dmckinnon@asttechlabs.com
Wed, 11 Dec 2002 22:07:57 -0500

I found some info on the net today.  The following is from a manufacturer of
automotive parts and was in a white paper on reducing the wall thickness and
improving the cat ability to do its work.  I wish "high flow" cats were of
the metallic type as the durability is greatly improved as the substrate can
be attached directly to the case.  The data shows that reducing the wall
thickness goes hand in hand with increasing the number of cell in an area.
Now this is just one manufacturer info, others could be doing something like
Ron stated with reducing wall thickness and not increasing the cell density,
but that seems contrary about what they would do, notice how the brick
length data is reduced with increased cell density in the ceramic substrate.
I should give another call again to Carsound and talk to them a bit about
the substrate difference between the 94xxx series and the new 53xxx series
of the 4" round cat to see what they'll say.

      Cell density-Cells per inch2 400 400 600 600 900 800
      Wall thickness (in) 0.0065 0.0045 0.0043 0.0035 0.0025 0.0016
      Substrate material ceramic ceramic ceramic ceramic ceramic metallic
      Channel shape square square square square square triangular
      Cross section (cm2) 81.07 81.07 81.07 81.07 81.01 81.07
      Brick length (mm) 100 99.96 66.79 66.78 44.65 48.11
      Brick mass (kg) 0.5888 0.4732 0.4107 0.3723 0.2991 0.4847
      Backpressure (kpa) 5.97 4.93 5.69 5.16 5.51 5.46
      Conversion ability2 3.42 3.42 3.42 3.42 3.42 3.42
      Volume (L) 0.8107 0.8104 0.5415 0.5414 0.362 0.3901

Don McKinnon
95 MTX - White/Mocha 89k miles
Stage 1 Power Package with Stage 1cams
Canyon Carver Road/Race Suspension