[Shotimes] Replacing stereo head unit?

Steve Tatro stevetatro@att.net
Thu, 12 Dec 2002 07:22:23 -0500

Kevin,

Lots of aftermarket brands look good in the SHO.  In fact, the Blau I
currently have in my '93 even has a similar color display, so at night
it doesn't look too ghetto ;^)  If you check out www.crutchfield.com
you'll find some sort of a fit guide, and it will show you what
aftermarket decks fit the stock opening the best.  These should require
no stupid trim pieces, etc. around the deck.  That's why I'm so happy
with my Blau.  Here's a picture of mine (hand-held remote not shown ;^)
http://mediaservice.photoisland.com/auction/Dec/200212127695559705076602
.jpg.

Do you have the stock JBL?  If so, you have two options when replacing
the stock deck with an aftermarket one: (1) bypass the factory amps or
(2) incorporate the factory amps.

The cheap harness (typically $15 or so) that some places will include
for "free" is the bypass harness.  The deck's amplifier will power the
speakers.  There's also an OEM interface adapter, typically between
$45-60, that incorporates the factory amps, thus rendering moot the
built-in deck amplifier.

I've tried both ways, both in my '90 and my '93, and prefer to
incorporate the factory amps, assuming you stick with the stock
speakers.  Even the highest quality, high-powered aftermarket decks left
something to be desired when the factory JBL amps were bypassed, IMO.

Anyhoo, there are a couple of options for retaining the use of the
redundant radio controls (above and to the right of the steering wheel).
First, you can read this thread on from SHO Forum
http://www.shoforum.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=23;t=0000
20#000004.  There's obviously products made that do just what you want,
although I don't personally know anybody who's used this (or similar)
product.

Your second option is much simpler, although it really limits your
choices.  There are a few Sony decks that are wired to accept the
redundant radio controls.  I can't remember what model numbers, as it
appears I didn't save the last email regarding this, but I'm 100%
positive it came from Dave Kegel.  Hopefully he'll chime in here again
with the Sony models I refer to.

Anyway, good luck with whatever you decide to do.  If you do replace the
deck with something aftermarket, get something of decent quality, as the
better shielded it is the better it will sound, especially if you
incorporate the factory amps.  If you go this route, remember not to pay
more just for more power, as it won't be used anyway.  Oh, here's a link
for one (of the many) OEM Interface adapters
http://www.pie.net/sec12sb5.htm.  The application list for the HRC-FORD
doesn't say Taurus, and does say it works only with "Premium" sound, but
this appears to be the exact same unit I've been using for years.  I'm
going to give them a call and make sure it's correct.

Later,

Steve Tatro
Red/Black '93 with 163k miles
Cincinnati, Ohio