[Shotimes] Engine Starting Speed

Kevin & Cheryl Airth clubairth@cajunnet.com
Sat, 14 Dec 2002 14:13:39 -0600

This is common to all EEC-IV vehicles. If the rpm is below 120 rpm the PCM
will not let the fuel pump run. So that is the lower limit, if the starter
can not spin the engine at least 120 rpm it will never start. Remember that
when you turn the key on it does NOT pressure the fuel system to 39 PSI. It
ONLY runs the fuel pump a fixed length of time. Usually 1 second. That's why
when your fuel pump is weak you need to cycle the key several times. With
only running 1 sec. it might take 5-6 cycles to build enough pressure for
"instant" start.
.
.
.

> I think that "theory" comes from the '92 cars that came with
> a starter that was slower than normal, the cars were hard to
> start, and there was a recall, and all SHO's on the lots had
> to have starters replaced.  Not all of them had problems,
> but a lot of them did.
>
> Other than that, I don't think the SHO has to spin faster
> than any other four-cam motor, I would guess it maybe needs
> a bit more speed than a motor designed to run at much lower
> speeds, like a diesel or a OHC 2-valve torque motor.
>
> Don Mallinson
> SHO Club
> history, that is our key to understanding!
>
> George Fourchy wrote:

> >>easily.
> >>
> >>What is the basis of your comment?
> >

> > You know, I don't know.  Maybe one of the LPM gurus or guys like Gary,
Sergio or the