[Shotimes] (OT) Aspires...was: Re: Almost lost it, aka death by phone

George Fourchy George Fourchy" <krazgeo@jps.net
Sun, 15 Dec 2002 06:07:52 -0800

On Sun, 15 Dec 2002 08:46:03 -0500, Noah South III wrote:

> People like that should be forced to drive Aspires.

Aw come on....!!  ;-)

Aspires are good cars!  They're butt ugly, but they have good drivetrains, and pull
fairly well through the gears on hills as long as you keep the revs up above 4K or
so.  That's hard to do intelligently, though, because they don't have tachs.  (If
it's an automatic, shoot it quick, so it won't reproduce!!!)

I drove one down I-5 from Portland Oregon to San Francisco a few years ago, and
found that it was very quick (for a subcompact) as long as I planned ahead on the
hills.  Any slow cars or trucks that made me lose my momentum would kill the speed
and I had to crawl like all the other trucks and Aspire owners until I was going
downhill.

It was fun, as long as I could stay away from the pokey puppies.  It got over 40
mpg.

George