[Shotimes] Re: slowing oil seal leaks

Paul Nimz niks@dlogue.net
Sun, 15 Dec 2002 17:19:41 -0600

Well I did this.  Plugged both the valve cover port and the one behind the TB.
I connected a vacuum gauge to the valve cover port and went for a drive.
After the motor was war and with my not so good  vacuum gauge it did SHO 2" Hg
of vacuum during engine breaking and around 1" to .5" at cruise.

I would think this would help keep the oil leaking into the plug wells and out
the crankshaft seals a bit.  I have both rear and front seals leaking but not
the plug wells.

This is on my '93 3.0L with 150k on it and in poor shape.  I would assume a
motor in better shape would create a bit higher vacuum.

Paul Nimz
'97 TR SHO
'93 EG mtx SHO

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Paul Nimz
  To: `V6 SHOtimes
  Sent: Friday, December 13, 2002 1:12 PM
  Subject: slowing oil seal leaks

  Just a thought.  I wonder if this would help with the plug  well seals and
various other seals on the V6.

  I am going to plug the hose that goes from behind the TB in front and then
to the valve cover.  This is the crankcase fresh air makeup hose.  On my '97
V8 I have this plugged and it creates a vacuum on the crankcase.  This should
help keep the oil from leaking out of the various seals on the car.

  A vacuum on the crankcase increases hp and you fuel mileage too while
minimizing the accumulation of sludge in the intake manifold.

  Any thoughts?

  Paul Nimz
  '97 TR SHO
  '93 EG mtx SHO