[Shotimes] Engine Starting Speed

D Potter jpotter8@bellsouth.net
Mon, 16 Dec 2002 04:46:23 -0500

190lpm? Talk about OVERKILL!!!!!!!

I am sure you meant 190lph. Now, are you saying that, because this pumps
move a lot of fuel, that we need the regulator and fuel return line, and
therefore, by simple deduction, we can lose more weight by eliminating the
regulator and return line if we use a lower flow pump?    ;P

If your pump is worn or has low voltage and is not pumping at full speed it
can take more than a few seconds to pressurize the lines to proper pressure.
You will get enough pressure for the car to drive normally, even though it
may take 5-8 seconds to pressurize the fuel rails. I currently am
experiencing this myself. My pump runs two seconds each time it initializes.
If I want instant start I have to prime the lines at least two complete
cycles, sometime three. Or, I can just turn the key and it will start after
the pump has run for at least 4 seconds. Otherwise, she runs fine.

I don't know about needing to obtain a particular rpm to start the SHO, but
I did read somewhere in the service CD that if the motor speed drops below a
certain rpm that the system will shut it down, and this would surely include
a disabling of the fuel pump. I'm sure this function is in place at all
time, so that you must exceed this same rpm to get the motor to start.

DP