[Shotimes] Plastic Hood Poll

Ron Porter ronporter@prodigy.net
Mon, 16 Dec 2002 17:34:21 -0500

I'm looking at it from a slightly different angle.......from someone looking
to buy a Plus.

Yes, I'm sure that every Plus car had the plastic hood, but even from the
'91s that also got it. I've reviewed a few within the last couple of weeks
in that category.

The presence/absence of the hood, to me, is a rather weak indication of
whether a car was a Plus. I am looking at it from a buyers perspective, and
am going on the assumption that the original window sticker is not
available. I personally know of a few Plus cars that had accidents and now
have steel hoods, and I know of MANY non-Plus Gen 1s with plastic hoods (and
I believe you have one in the garage!!).

The window trim, blackout pillar/mirrors and body-color trim are better
indicators to me if I look at a '91 and the owner  is not SHO-literate. As
you said, the rear spoiler was a hit-or-miss affair, and I believe that
there have been imitations produced somewhere along the line. I would also
have to go with a car with a moonroof and the other options that were
supposed to be a part of the package, but the keyless entry looks like a
questionable option also, per the brochure info versus the picture.

As you know, if I found a car that fully appeared to be a Plus, but had a
steel hood, no spoiler, etc, adding those parts back on gets it to where it
should be. It's just too bad that Ford didn't have a VIN code to indicate
the package.