[Shotimes] Plastic Hood Poll

Donald Mallinson dmall@mwonline.net
Mon, 16 Dec 2002 21:29:48 -0600

Ron,

I have been there (buyers side) a lot of times as you know.

My point is that I have seen lots of SHO's built after 5-91
that do NOT have the plastic hood.  That is a fact. So that
is why I don't and can't agree with the premise that they
were ALL built with the hood after a certain date.  Plain
and simple. I have never seen a true plus without the hood.
  These are not hard concepts to get a brain around.

Why don't we just start checking VIN's at the next
convention and see if we can come up with an answer.  Loser
buys a couple beers for the winner.

Now to make a short answer long....About adding the parts, I
agree the hood is easy to replace, but that act leaves clues
when you do.  Also, you can't just add on the spoiler,  I
don't know of too many people that can, or would go to the
trouble to punch the factory style holes in the two layers.
  It will be REAL easy to spot an added-on spoiler, unless
they change the entire lid, and then there will also be lots
of clues on the bolts, and in the color.  Tough to take old
parts and have them match in color/wear/tear etc when they
have been on two different cars in different environments
for years. Possible, but hard.

With collector cars, absolute factory built originality is
valuable to some and not to others.  An added spoiler could
ruin it for me maybe, but not for someone else.

As for replacing "missing" parts of packages on collectible
cars.  If you are saying to add something that was never
there, and sell it as "factory original" then you could find
someone waving a fist or worse, a gun, in your face in some
places!

If on the other hand the spoiler or hood was removed and
then replaced to bring the car back to factory original,
then that is OK to most collectors that buy restored cars.
As with almost anything, you can't just say it is OK to add
options.  It is to some, not to others.  The SHO will
probably never be valuable enough to make this a real issue,
but not so with quite a few other really rare cars.

Don Mallinson