[Shotimes] Starting Fuel Pressure

Kevin & Cheryl Airth clubairth@cajunnet.com
Tue, 17 Dec 2002 11:48:36 -0600

Maybe I am misunderstanding what you are saying?
 If you disconnect the fuel line and turn the key on without cranking the
engine, What happens?
 The fuel system has no pressure and if the pump brings it up to 39 psi you
should have a healthy flow of gas out the line that does not stop. Right?
That does not happen. If you have ever changed your fuel filter you have
seen this. Since changing the filter drains a lot of fuel out of the lines
as well as the large filter body itself when you start the car you have to
crank a long time or cycle the key off and on to fill everything back up
before it will start. Or when changing the filter, before installing the new
one. Go turn on the key and see if the gas keeps pumping out.
.
.

> Read it again Kevin. "Turning the key to ON causes the fuel pump to run
for
> one second TO PRESSURIZE THE SYSTEM."
>
> The system is a closed pressurized system. The system runs at 39 psig. set
> by the regulator. The internal pressure relieve inside of the pump kicks
the
> pump off at 123 psig. if the line is blocked. If your injectors are not
weak
> there's pressure in the system before you turn the key on. Turn the key on
> and you add more pressure up to 39 psig.. Go out to your car now and
depress
> the shrader valve and see if gas doesn't blow out onto your hand.
>
> Relieve all of the pressure then turn the key on and go out and press the
> valve again and let me know if you get gas under pressure blowing against
> your finger/hand and all over the engine.
>
> A couple of ounces of gas makes these engines run a long time. A can of
Pro