[Shotimes] David's car

Ron Nottingham nottingham@alltel.net
Fri, 20 Dec 2002 11:25:50 -0500

You're old Jim :-)  Back in '84 when I got my license, also....  Crap, guess
that means I'm old too!  DOH!  My first car was a '79 Mercury Capri RS
Turbo.  My first two choices were a Pontiac GTO "Judge" with 455SD, and a 70
Mach 1 with a 351C and C6.  My Dad nixed the first two, by saying he
couldn't afford the insurance on them (so I wasn't that bright about cars at
16), later I found out that he got liability on my car and the cost to
insure the Capri, Mach 1, or the GTO would have all been the same.  I
thought that was a good deal, for him to pay my insurance (while I was in
school), even though I had my own money to buy my own car.  I probably could
have acted like a spoiled brat, and said it's my money, I'll buy what I want
to, buy what I want to :-)

I'm glad that my Dad was smart enough to know that a 4-cylinder turbo was
nothing like either of those other two muscle cars, as surely I would not
have lived to see 17!

That Capri was a fun car, though, even though it was wrecked twice by me...
DOH!  First time, came over a blind hill, doing a little less than the speed
limit (45 posted, I was actually doing 35, HONEST!)  and hit a car parked in
the road, no reason why he was parked there.  The last time I wrecked the
car, I fell asleep at the wheel, and ran it into a ditch when I was 18,
coming back from college, after a hectec 3 days of exams and all-nighters.
My Dad declared it totaled, and we sold it back to the person we bought it
from, for 1/3 what I paid originally.  Works out to about 67 a month for
payments! LOL  Paid $3k, had it for 2.5 years.  Still miss that big "hood
scoop" and deep front air dam.  That car taught me allot about driving, as I
was 15 when I purchased it, and couldn't drive a manual, so my Dad had to
drive the car home, even though I could have tried with him in the car.  Two
weeks later, I got my license in that car, and made a perfect score on my
test :-)

Thanks for the fond memories!

Oh, yeah, I wouldn't have went for a 4-door either, at that age!

Ron N. - Dalton, GA
90 SHO