[Shotimes] Bad Brake Pads!

Ron Porter ronporter@prodigy.net
Sat, 21 Dec 2002 19:21:28 -0500

FWIW, the PF pads I had responded the best to the bedding-in procedure
(compared to other pads I've done it on). There was a noticeable change in
their feel the next morning. When bedding them, I do 7-12 stops, or until I
can see/smell brake smoke.

From: shotimes-admin@autox.team.net
[mailto:shotimes-admin@autox.team.net]On Behalf Of Josh Salaets
Sent: Saturday, December 21, 2002 3:03 PM
To: SHOtimes
Cc: SHOlist
Subject: Re: [Shotimes] Bad Brake Pads!

Thanks everyone for all of your input!  Even though I have only driven 10
miles home on my Performance Friction pads, I already like them better than
anything else I've tried so far.  I didn't even have to use the brakes much,
but I could already tell the pedal was stiffer, there was less effort needed
to slow the car, and the pads would bite much harder than the others I have
tried.

Sometime tonight or tomorrow I will actually "bed" the pads and rotors in.
I read a lot of different opinions about bedding in pads and rotors the past
couple days because I want to make sure I don't screw this set up.  It seems
like there's as many opinions about why and how you should bed in as there
are pad manufacturers - some say bedding in isn't necessary, others say its
essential, and still others say its just to bed in the rotor as good pads
are already "bed in" and ready to go at the factory.

I think the way I'll do it is drive the car around for today and tomorrow
using the brakes as normal (avoid high-speed or panic stops), then bed the
pads and rotors in by making a series of 7-10 60-15 mph stops to heat
everything up gradually, drive the car for 10-15 minutes to cool everything
down, and then park the car overnight.  This is a combination of a lot of
the recommendations I read, and is pretty similar to the only recommendation
I found on the 'net from a Performance Friction employee regarding the
proper bedding procedure for their pads.

Sounds like when I get some extra cash, I'll definitely go with the
Porterfields!  For now though, I don't really care about dusting and
absolute best performance - I just want a quality pad that won't cost me a
fortune and that will hold up to some aggressive driving, stay quiet, and
not fall apart and leave pad material all over my damn rotors, and I think
the PF pads will fit the bill.

Thanks again!

Josh Salaets
95 SHO MTX (I SHO U - Is the pad swapping marathon over?  Have I FINALLY
found a good pad???)
85 Omni GLH-T (Yeah, it's fast, and it doesn't care about pad material!)
NWSHOC Member
Eugene, OR