[Shotimes] 60k/Valve adj.

Kerry Kinion kerry@kinionfurniture.com
Sat, 21 Dec 2002 23:22:46 -0800

Hi All,

Well, my local Ford dealer actually did come through for me.  The
service manager loaned me their tappet compressor and tappet holder.
They didn't have the pick tool, so I used a dental pick (my wife is a
dental assistant) that worked OK.  I am going to replace all 24 shims
with new ones and am going to order these individually after checking
clearances and pulling all the old shims to check the numbers.  I know
this is the long way to go but that's OK because I have the time, as the
car is going nowhere until I have replaced a whole bunch of parts.  Josh
at ShoNut offered to loan me his personal tools and Josh, if you're
reading I want to thank you again but my local Ford shop guy actually
did come through with the tools so I won't need to rent these from you.
He also quoted me a price of 3.00 per shim (20% above his cost) so I'll
go with this as well unless I run into obsolete/availability issues.  So
Josh, I may still be contacting you for shims and especially other
parts.  I don't know yet, if I can get the same generous deal on other
parts or not.

Questions:

1.	After I checked the clearances of all shims (and some are way
out of spec.) I removed, one by one each shim to check the number to
arrive at needed shim.  After returning all original shims to the same
position, I did a second check of clearances for peace of mind.  Most of
my second check #'s were within about a thousandth or two, but on cyl #4
(intake) my first clearance check showed .008.  When I did my second
check I got .016.  Has anyone run into this before?  It makes me a
little nervous about feeling confident about what shim size I need to
replace it with.
2.	When the clearances are out of tolerance, what does this do in
terms of performance of the engine?  (again, I am not much of a car guy
but am trying to learn - and having a good time in the process).
3.	Are all the shims (primary/secondary, or left/right) the same
diameter?  I didn't check this when they were out, so I thought I'd ask.

Happy Holidays and Thanks!

Kerry Kinion
'93 Green MTX, 110k, Bone stock and sitting in the driveway for way too
long!