[Shotimes] Removing wheel-less car body from driveway

BJamesjr@aol.com BJamesjr@aol.com
Mon, 23 Dec 2002 12:58:49 -0500

> One thing that few people realize is that steel is the most commonly
> recycled material.  All steel contains at least 20% post consumer recycled
> (usually cubed up car bodies) and sometimes is 100%
> recycled for things like
> bar joists and rebars.

This is sort of bad news for us.
Our local steel mill that makes reinforcing steel and beam shapes uses 100% recycled materials, almost all of it car bodies.  They use 700,000 cars a year, and use one heckofa lot of electricity.  I have toured the plant a couple of times to watch beam shapes being rolled, but they refuse to show us their "shredder", which can shred a car in something like 30 seconds.  I see flatbed 18-wheelers go down the road frequently with a dozen or so flattened cars on them.  I figure if your SHO sits still for any length of time too close to a junkyard, it will end up in somebody's office building slab.  The unfortunately part is that it reduces the available cars for rebuilding and for spare parts.  We have to count on the few people like Al to keep us going.