[Shotimes] OT: truck engine

Justin Schick jschick@aafp.org
Wed, 25 Dec 2002 18:09:14 -0600

I place high value on many of the opinions shared here and hope you guys have some thoughts for me. Reply off list if it makes you feel better.

I've got an 85 F-150 that I don't know what I want to do with. The 300 currently in it needs a lower end rebuild. Badly. I haven't done a compression test in fear of the results, but the rings have so much blow by it's pushing oil out of the recently re-sealed oil pan, and that's with 2 PCV valves trying to evacuate things. I use the truck very rarely, mainly to haul / tow / move stuff when the need presents itself, and occasionally follow my buddies off road. I've put a cam in it (Crane, similar to the Blue Racer) and the head is fresh. What I love about the truck the most is the drive train. 4 speed manual with granny low, manual hubs and transfer case, solid front axle 4X4, and I think a 9" in back.

I know that if I rebuilt the 300 I wouldn't be happy with it until I'd put new manifolds and a real carb on it. The stock 1bbl electronc feedback unit blows. I also know what I really want in a truck is as much torque as I can get. If I decided to swap rather than rebuild, what would work? I assume a 302 or 351 would be a direct bolt in. I know a 460 was available in 85 but don't know if a big block is compatible with the rest of my current set up. If a swap is out of the question, should I just ditch this thing and start looking for something else?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts or opinions,

Justin Schick
jschick@aafp.org
92 SHO for a daily driver
66 Mustang GT for fun