[Shotimes] cutting a tire

John Phillis jphillis68@hotmail.com
Sat, 28 Dec 2002 23:00:47 -0500

you will think I am a loon, but then you'll try it, and it will work...
in other words, a list of things I have used to successfully cut tires in
half, due to tires not allowed to be left laying around whole, because of
the west nile virus and such...

electric turkey carving knife
drywall saw
12" "shortcut" crosscut saw
hacksaw
sawzall
utility knife
saber saw
chainsaw with tire pinned in a large cylinder vise(not recommended due to
tiny bits of metal rapping around chain, lots of smoke, and it just plain
sucks)
panel shear

but I can't disclose which method works the best
;-)
John Phillis

From: "van Oss" <vanOss@centurytel.net>
To: <shotimes@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Shotimes] cutting a tire
Date: Sat, 28 Dec 2002 21:17:23 -0600

For reasons I can't disclose, I need to slice a steel-belted radial.  That
is, I need to section the tire along one of its rain
grooves.  This means I need to cut through the rubber and steel.  Any tips?
What works?  Anyone cut holes in tires to put them on
dock posts?  What am I facing?  What cutting tools work?

Joseph van Oss