[Shotimes] RE: 1993 EVTM

Kerry Kinion kerry@kinionfurniture.com
Tue, 31 Dec 2002 00:45:48 -0800

Kevin,

Thanks for the worksheet - I hate to tell you though, it's missing some
serious formulas for actually figuring needed shims.  Tell me if I'm
wrong.  I would be willing to help come up with the formulas for doing
this.  It might be of use to other SHO people if there were actual
formulas included.  I might be interested in the EVTM manual - how much
do you want for it?

Kerry

-----Original Message-----
From: Kevin & Cheryl Airth [mailto:clubairth@cajunnet.com]
Sent: Monday, December 23, 2002 8:42 PM
To: Kerry Kinion; Kerry Kinion
Subject: 1993 EVTM

Kerry:
 I have attached a nice Excel spreadsheet setup for doing the valve
adjustment. Just makes it so much easier to keep track of where you are
at! It had a few errors that I fixed and I don't remember who originally
started it. I think you might find it useful.
 I have the 1993 Helm EVTM (Electrical, Vacuum Troubleshooting Manual)
for your 93 for sale. Here is a picture of the front cover:

 I think you already have the big Helm book. You will need this one if
you don't have it. Has all the electrical diagrams and module locations
too.
Let me know.
Thanks!
.
.
Kevin

PS: One more tip- ALWAYS block off the oil drainback holes in the heads
when you have the valve covers off. Several people have dropped things,
mostly the valve tappet tools into the oil pan. Careful!
 Also remeasure that one valve clearance. It might have had some oil or
a bit of trash holding up the shim. I always rotate the engine to set
the shims and remeasure the clearances. They can pop into incorrect
positions sometimes.

> Hi All,
>
> Well, my local Ford dealer actually did come through for me.  The
> service manager loaned me their tappet compressor and tappet holder.
> They didn't have the pick tool, so I used a dental pick (my wife is a
> dental assistant) that worked OK.  I am going to replace all 24 shims
> with new ones and am going to order these individually after checking
> clearances and pulling all the old shims to check the numbers.  I know
> this is the long way to go but that's OK because I have the time, as
the
> car is going nowhere until I have replaced a whole bunch of parts.
> Kerry Kinion
> '93 Green MTX, 110k,

[demime 0.99d.1 removed an attachment of type application/vnd]