[Shotimes] FW: [jyturbo] Parts washer

Ian Fisher ianf@eden.rutgers.edu
Tue, 31 Dec 2002 11:04:31 -0500

I thought this was an interesting read. Be careful with what you use
Brake cleaner on (brakes only)

Ian

-----Original Message-----
From: Allan De Groot [mailto:adegroot@ptd.net]
Sent: Tuesday, December 31, 2002 3:43 AM
To: jyturbo@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [jyturbo] Parts washer

Tri-chlor, MeCl, Freon and any of a number of other things passed
through a running engine generate something called
Phosgene gas.

 Phosgene has been used as a "war gas" (aka Military Chemical Agent)

It is primarily regarded as a "choking agent", I.E. is supresses
respiration (As you discovered), the sharp smell accompanying
it under those circumstances is from elemental Chlorine gas
(the very first chemical gas used in warfare) as well

In it's pure form Phosgene smells like the smell of freshly cut grass
and most people's instinctive reaction is to take a deep breath and
smell the grass... Oops!!!
It has nervous system effects as well.

And it's creation by the method of running it through an engine can
cause formation of Hydrogen Cyanide as well.

Can you see why it could be considered deadly?

The infamous Mustard gas (technically a "Blister agent") and can also
actually be made inadvertantly, but the particular solvents required
aren't in as common useage anymore, and putting them into a running
engine isn't what they react with.

AllanD

At 03:55 PM 12/30/2002 -0800, you wrote:
>Once I sprayed that into a carb w/o looking. I thought i had the carb
>clean in my hand. Two seconds later I was on the floor, fighting for
>breath like I'd been hit with chlorine gas in a WW1 attack. That was an

>instructive experience. Whatever chemical it made from passing through
>the combustion chamber/catalytic converter was highly inimical to human

>life.
>
>KC

If you REALLY need to talk to me....
(610)377-8632 until 11pm Eastern Time

(will be updated VERY soon) Archives, and Files Section: