[Shotimes] OT (sort of): Air Tools

Jim and Debbie Leyden jndleyden@mindspring.com
Fri, 1 Nov 2002 19:05:37 -0500

When purchasing air tools and compressors and want long life there is one
major feature to look for.  CAST IRON  Most cheap stuff nowadays is aluminum
and will not last.

Jim
'93 MTX

-----Original Message-----
From: shotimes-admin@autox.team.net
[mailto:shotimes-admin@autox.team.net]On Behalf Of Christian Andretta
Sent: Friday, November 01, 2002 10:23 AM
To: shotimes@autox.team.net
Subject: [Shotimes] OT (sort of): Air Tools

I'm considering buying an air compressor for the garage.  One that I've been
attracted to for a while now is a 30 gallon 6 hp Craftsman model,
particularly the 75th anniversary edition because its silver to match my car
and it has nice pneumatic tires.  It is a single stage oil free design and
was way noisier than the more expensive two stage model.  Can someone offer
suggestions on this compressor or similar style single stage compressors.
One thing that I was curious about with this style is the life expectancy.
I don't want to buy a cheaper consumer grade unit and have it fail
prematurely.

I am of course planning to run a 1/2 impact wrench and various nail guns
that I have off the unit.  Is an air ratchet a valuable investment?  There
are a couple of other tools I might consider purchasing eventually but I
won't use them all that much so I was planning on going the cheap Taiwanese
route.  For the impact wrench I was looking at a couple of Craftsman models
which look like they are made by IR.  I also saw some IR models that were 10
bucks more than the Craftsman and some Chicago Pneumatic that looked pretty
nice.  I assume that impact sockets will be necessary for the impact wrench.
Will they also be need for an air ratchet?  The one thing I noticed about
impact sockets is that they are expensive, even the cheap Taiwanese brands.
Any comments and suggestions are greatly appreciated.

SHO Content:  The compressor I like matches the color of my car and the
tools would be used to fix it.

Chris A
99 SF