[Shotimes] pcm problems on a 93 sho?

Steve Weinrich stevwein@swbell.net
Sun, 13 Oct 2002 15:23:04 -0500

Some black smoke is normal on acceleration.  It sounds like you might have a
bit too much from your description.

Tell the dealer to put his money where his mouth is.  Tell him you'll pay
for any SUCCESSFUL repair.

Sounds like several problems, none of which are likely to be the PCM.

The nofire at start sounds like a cam position sensor.  This sensor can also
cause problems with the tach (as can the crank position sensor).  Cam sensor
is about 33 bucks at AutoZone and takes 30 minutes to replace on an MTX.  An
ATX, probably less.

Since you are getting a Check Engine Light, you need to pull the codes.
Anyone who can follow instructions at www.shotimes.com and who has access to
a large paper clip can do it.  It's real simple.

Once you get the stored error codes, you can start solving the multiple
problems.

Depending on what that EGR code was (probably 332), it's diagnosis and
repair is pretty straight forward.

BTW, what other sensor did they replace?

Steve
89